Table of Contents
Why and When You Need to Duplicate a WordPress Page or Post?
If your website is running on WordPress, then you have probably created dozens of pages and posts over time. You may not realize this, but sometimes you may need to duplicate a post or page on your website. For example:
You are creating a new page or post by referring an existing one. If you directly edit the existing post, then it will be overwritten and all changes will be lost. So the better option is to copy that existing post and make your changes in the copied version instead.
You are making changes to an existing post or page (e.g., product description), but don’t want to lose the original content just in case something goes wrong with the changes. In this case, you can copy that original post as backup before making changes.
It could be a new draft with almost the same content, or it could be a new post that you want to share on another website as well.
Whatever your reason may be, it does not have to be difficult to copy WordPress posts and pages.
In this article, we will show you why and when you would want to duplicate a WordPress page or post, and how to easily duplicate posts and pages on WordPress.
Duplicate a Page or Post with a Single Click Using the Duplicate Post Plugin
The easiest way to duplicate your WordPress post or page is by using the Duplicate Post plugin. The free version of this plugin offers basic functionalities, and you can also upgrade to the premium version if necessary.
- First, you need to install and activate the Duplicate Post plugin. For more details, see our step-by-step guide on how to install a WordPress plugin.
- Upon activation, you need to visit Settings » Duplicate Post page to configure plugin settings.
- On the settings page, you need to select which user roles can copy posts and pages using this plugin. You can restrict access to specific user roles and even administrators if needed.
- If you want to keep the original post or page instead of deleting it when someone clones it, then you can check the box next to ‘Copy date’. This will keep both posts in your WordPress site without any issues.
- Don’t forget to click on the ‘Save Changes’ button at the bottom of the page after making your changes.
Now that you have configured the settings for your own needs, let’s take a look at how you can easily duplicate any post or page on your site with a single click.
3 Best WordPress Plugins for Duplicate posts/pages
Today, we’ll talk about a very important plugin that can help you avoid duplicate content. Duplicate content is not good for your website because search engines don’t like it. If you have duplicate pages or posts on your website, search engines will penalize your website by lowering its ranking in search results.
That’s why we will show how you can avoid duplicate pages and posts with the help of these three plugins:
The Duplicate post/page plugin mentioned above is the most comprehensive solution for this problem. It is easy to work with, and will help you retain control over your content. You should be able to safely delete these posts or pages from your site by using it.
This is one of those WordPress tips that can make your life a lot easier. Sure, if you have the time, you can duplicate your pages or posts by manually creating them again. But sometimes, you just don’t have the time to go through that process. Using this plugin, however, you can instantly create another page or post without having to do anything but click a button. It’s that simple.